Culham Science Centre, Abingdon, Oxfordshire. U.K.The location of ABSL’s U.K. operations is at the Culham Science Centre in Oxfordshire. The U.K. facility includes a full suite of space hardware design, build, and test facilities. The Culham facility is the result of more then 40 years of continuous involvement in the space industry. The Culham facility includes the following:
580 square feet of class 100k clean room which has been specifically designed for the manufacture of space hardware. With 630 feet of ESD safe bench space its geared towards single, or small volume production144 square feet of class 100 clean room space built for the assembly of high quality optical products complete with a laminar flow bench and access to a thermal vacuum chamber.Full support with both mechanical and electrical areas for assembly of jigs and harnesses required during manufacture and test of all space hardware.Large bonded material store for holding space qualified components and materials with identification and barcode traceability for certification.
- Three thermal vacuum chambers with a temperature range of -80°C to +100°C at vacuums down to 1 x 10-6 torr which are fully programmable for long term temperature cycling of hardware. All chambers come equipped with integrated battery power supplies.
- Thermal chambers for environmental testing of equipment capable of temperature cycling from -40°C to +100°C, fully programmable for long term cycling of hardware
- Maccor and Bitrode computer controlled battery testers for monitoring and electrically cycling batteries up to 110 volts / 120 Amps
- Maccor single cell formation rigs to enable testing of over five-hundred cells at any one time
- Battery impedance characterisation equipment covering a range of 10Hz to 100kHz